Lina, the Slayer, is a ranged intelligence hero, adept at destroying enemy heroes quickly by delivering massive bursts of magical damage, making her one of the most effective gankers in the game. She possesses immense damaging capabilities all throughout the game, but is very fragile. Two of her fiery spells are her main source of damage, Dragon Slave sends a wave of fire to burn enemies in her path while Light Strike Array stuns them with a concentrated pillar of solar flame. Each of her spells deals great damage early on and has a low cooldown. Her Fiery Soul bolsters her attack and movement speed every time she casts a spell, which gives her scaling damage for the later game. Laguna Blade, her ultimate, is her ace in the hole. Lina fires off a huge bolt of lightning at a single target, dealing colossal damage. Laguna Blade’s damage is staggering in early-mid game, and late game is still enough to destroy frail enemy heroes. Dragon Slave, Light Strike Array, and Laguna Blade are incredible flaming nukes that can incinerate her target instantly, and Fiery Soul allows her to transition into a strong and fast physical attacker. Though her power falls from its peak late game, mana-boosting and damage-increasing items can be purchased to keep herself up.
Lina, the Slayer[external_link_head]
▶️ “Fire makes a fine servant, but a harsh mistress.”
The sibling rivalries between Lina the Slayer, and her younger sister Rylai, the Crystal Maiden, were the stuff of legend in the temperate region where they spent their quarrelsome childhoods together. Lina always had the advantage, however, for while Crystal was guileless and naive, Lina’s fiery ardor was tempered by cleverness and conniving. The exasperated parents of these incompatible offspring went through half a dozen homesteads, losing one to fire, the next to ice, before they realized life would be simpler if the children were separated. As the oldest, Lina was sent far south to live with a patient aunt in the blazing Desert of Misrule, a climate that proved more than comfortable for the fiery Slayer. Her arrival made quite an impression on the somnolent locals, and more than one would-be suitor scorched his fingers or went away with singed eyebrows, his advances spurned. Lina is proud and confident, and nothing can dampen her flame.
Lina channels the breath of a dragon, sending out a wave of fire that scorches every enemy in its path.
Cast Animation: 0.45+0.38
Cast Range: 800
Starting Radius: 275
Travel Distance: 1075
End Radius: 200
8 ( 5.5)
In the scorched barren of Misrule, Lina learned to manipulate the fiery breath of the Desert Wyrm as a form of entertainment.
- Dragon Slave travels at a speed of 1200, taking 0.9 seconds to travel the full distance.
- With the travel distance and end radius, it can hit units up to 1275 range away.
- The complete area is shaped like a cone.
Summons a column of flames that damages and stuns enemies.
Cast Animation: 0.45+0.67/0.43
Cast Range: 625[external_link offset=1]
Effect Radius: 250
Effect Delay: 0.5
Damage: 80/130/180/230 ( 210/260/310/360)
Stun Duration: 1.6/1.9/2.2/2.5
modifier_lina_light_strike_array: Undispellable. Persists death.
modifier_stunned: Dispellable with strong dispels.
Lina’s essence allows her to focus the sun’s energies, causing air to combust at will.
- Light Strike Array first applies the debuff, then the damage.
- Light Strike Array destroys trees within its radius.
- The visual effects and the sound during the 0.5-second effect delay are only visible and audible to allies.
- Lina has two different animations for this spell, leading to two possible cast backswing durations.
Grants bonus attack and movement speed each time Lina casts a spell. Stacks with itself. Lasts 12 seconds.
Max Stacks: 3
Move Speed Bonus per Stack: 5%/6%/7%/8% ( 7%/8%/9%/10%)
Attack Speed Bonus per Stack: 30/50/70/90 ( 60/80/100/120)
Stack Duration: 12
Prevents gaining new stacks. Already existing stacks still provide bonus attack and movement speed.
modifier_lina_fiery_soul: Undispellable. Persists death.
Dancing flames embody Lina’s playful nature, bringing out her true blazing self.
- Using items does not trigger Fiery Soul.
- Each ability cast refreshes the duration of the whole stack, making it theoretically possible to permanently have max stacks on.
Fires off a bolt of lightning at a single enemy unit, dealing massive damage.
Cast Animation: 0.45+0.7
Cast Range: 600 ( 850)
Effect Delay: 0.25 ( 0)
Damage Length: 850
Damage Width: 125
Changes Laguna Blade’s damage type to Pure, and allows it to slice through spell immunity.
Increases Laguna Blade’s cast range by 250 and causes it to go the full cast length and hit all units along the way. Can be ground targeted. Additionally reduces Laguna Blade Mana Cost by 100
Cannot be cast on spell immune enemies. Attempts to damage if target turns spell immune during the delay.
Can be cast on spell immune enemies.
Blocked upon cast. Particles still visually appear.
Fully ignores Spell Block.
modifier_lina_laguna_blade_line: Undispellable. Persists death.
modifier_lina_laguna_blade: Dispellable with death only.
The air around Lina becomes so intensely torrid that it scorches a foe that came too close with white-hot lightning.
- Places a debuff on the target, which applies the damage upon expiring. The debuff lasts 0.25 seconds.
- This means the ability can be avoided by being invulnerable or hidden as the debuff expires.
- With Aghanim’s Scepter, Laguna Blade’s damage changes from magical to pure, and allows it to slice through spell immunity.
- With Aghanim’s Shard, Laguna Blade always affects a line in front of Lina, no matter how it is targeted.
- When targeting a unit, the lightning is released towards its current location upon cast and still goes the full length.
- With the travel distance and damage width, it can hit units up to 975 range away.
- Places a hidden modifier on Lina upon cast, which applies the damage on all enemies within range of the lightning upon being placed.
- This attack damage talent is added as raw attack damage.
- Does not benefit illusions and is not affected by most percentage-based damage increasing or reducing effects.
- The health talent increases maximum health capacity, and keeps the current health percentage.
- Level 10 left talent: -2s Dragon Slave cooldown increased to -2.5s.
- Blink Dagger gives Lina the ability to stay back in safety, then blink in at an opportune moment to cast her Light Strike Array before the enemy can see it coming and evade it.
- Aghanim’s Scepter roughly boosts Lina’s Laguna Blade damage by another ability point, increases her survivability because of the increase to her attributes, and lets her damage stay relevant even against Black King Bar users in the mid or late game.
- Drum of Endurance improves her own positioning and all attributes for relatively low cost and also benefits her team.
- Shadow Blade can be useful for a carry Lina, as it helps her to cast Light Strike Array while invisible, and also provides her with an escape mechanism.
- Scythe of Vyse gives her team an important disable that also helps to ensure she lands Light Strike Array. Furthermore, its attribute bonuses will make her a bit more survivable and drastically improve her mana regeneration.
- Crystalys provides a good damage boost when playing as a semi-carry Lina, and can be upgraded to Daedalus.
- Black King Bar is sometimes picked up when Lina is carrying, especially against teams with many disables.
- Shiva’s Guard both helps with Lina’s mana regeneration problems as well as her low armor value while also benefiting her team with Shiva’s Guard’s aura and active ability.
- Rod of Atos provides Lina with a larger mana pool that becomes more important as teamfights expand and Laguna Blade becomes more mana-intensive, as well as a significant boost to her low HP pool. Its active effect can also greatly assist in landing her stun, and has a low enough cooldown to do so almost as soon as Light Strike Array comes off cooldown again.
- Octarine Core‘s extra range gives more survival potential in teamfights. Also, it gives a huge intelligence boost, as well as a greater ability to spam spells.
- Ethereal Blade is a decent luxury item if the farm is available. It allows Lina to amplify her magical nukes, and slows enemies to help her land them. Using the active on herself is also a good escape mechanism against late game carries.
- The original Lina Inverse “The Slayer” was modeled after the main character from the novels/anime/manga Slayers where Light Strike Array, Dragon Slave and Laguna Blade are all spells used by the original Lina Inverse.
- Lina’s line ▶️ “Better to burn out than fade away” is a reference to the Neil Young song, My, My, Hey, Hey.
- The line also appears in the suicide note of Kurt Cobain.
- The line ▶️ “Turn me over… I’m done.” is a reference to Lawrence of Rome who was roasted alive on a giant grill and joked, “Turn me over — I’m done on this side.“
- Lina’s rival response towards Batrider ▶️ “Why’d you stop? This isn’t Batrider country.” is a reference to a line in the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
- In older versions of DotA, Lina was a male hero that used the Blood Mage model, also used by the Invoker. In these versions, Lina was known as Link Inverse.
- Lina’s line ▶️ “It’s not the heat, it’s the humiliation.” is a reference to “It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity.” a quote from Yogi Berra.
- Lina’s coils around her neck are possibly a representation of Kayan Lahwi women in Myanmar, who are also referred to as “dragon women”.
Lina’s original artwork
Steam profile background art
Ability icon progress
Hero icon progress