Balanar, the Night Stalker, is a melee strength hero, renowned for being a very potent ganker once night falls.
Unlike most other heroes in the game, Night Stalker’s strength greatly fluctuates depending on the time of day. He is relatively innocuous during the day, with one of his abilities being completely disabled then while two others are heavily weakened in potency, but he quickly becomes a force to be reckoned with once the moon rises. He has a slow in Void, which allows him to hound and nuke down lone enemies who are unfortunate enough to encounter him; the slow effect is considerably more debilitating at night where a mini stun is also applied. He also has the ability to silence his foes with Crippling Fear, which drastically increases in duration at night, preventing spellcasters and even carries from retaliating against him while he lashes at them with relative impunity. His passive, Hunter In the Night, greatly boosts his movement speed and attack speed at night, allowing him to easily move around the map, to pursue and tear apart his prey. Finally, his ultimate, Dark Ascension, summons instant nighttime and hampers enemy night vision, making even the strongest enemy heroes sitting ducks for the Night Stalker and his allies. A terror in darkness, Night Stalker is the embodiment of heroes’ nightmares, and one of the last things they will ever wish to encounter alone at night.[external_link_head]
Balanar, the Night Stalker
▶️ “I feed the darkness and the darkness feeds me.”
Of the Night Stalker, there is no history, only stories. There are ancient tales woven into the lore of every race and every culture, of an impossible time before sunlight and daytime, when night reigned alone and the world was covered with the creatures of darkness–creatures like Balanar the Night Stalker.
It is said that on the dawn of the First Day, all the night creatures perished. All, that is, save one. Evil’s embodiment, Night Stalker delights in his malevolence. He created the primal role of the Night Terror, the Boogeyman, and as long as there have been younglings, his is the specter summoned to terrify them. This is a role he relishes; nor are these empty theatrics. He does indeed stalk the unwary, the defenseless, those who have strayed beyond the lighted paths or denied the warnings of their communities. Night Stalker serves as living proof that every child’s worst nightmare….is true.
Creates a damaging void that slows an enemy unit and deals damage. Void also mini-stuns, interrupting channeling abilities. The slowing effect lasts longer at night.
Cast Animation: 0.3+0.33
Cast Range: 525 ( 0)
Damage: 80/160/240/320 ( 125/205/285/365)
Move Speed Slow: 50%
Attack Speed Slow: 50
Day Slow Duration: 1.25
Night Slow Duration: 2.5/3/3.5/4
Day Stun Duration: 0
Night Stun Duration: 0.1 ( 0.5)
Causes Void to be an AoE ability. Increases the ministun duration.
Slow persists if debuff was placed before spell immunity and when not dispelled.
Not blocked when upgraded.[external_link offset=1]
modifier_night_stalker_void: Dispellable with any dispel.
modifier_stunned: Dispellable with strong dispels.
Balanar creates a vortex of infinite night, tearing opponents violently into the eternal darkness that once was.
Night Stalker horrifies all nearby enemies, causing them to become silenced while near him. The effect lasts longer at night.
Cast Animation: 0.2+0.43
Day Duration: 3
Night Duration: 4/5/6/7
Aura Linger Duration: 0.5
Debuff persists if it was placed before spell immunity.
modifier_night_stalker_crippling_fear_aura: Dispellable with death only.
modifier_night_stalker_crippling_fear: Dispellable with death only.
A vision of the twisted maw of Balanar etches itself into the minds of the poor souls unlucky enough to cross his path.
- Also uses the night values during the night from Eclipse.
- The silence is provided by an aura, its debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- The aura’s duration does not update when it turns day or night while the buff is on.
- Has a cast backswing of 0.67 during Hunter in the Night.
Night Stalker is in his element at night, attacking and moving with great swiftness.
Cast Animation: 0+1.07
Passive Move Speed Bonus: 22%/28%/34%/40% ( 32%/38%/44%/50%)
Passive Attack Speed Bonus: 20/40/60/80 ( 100/120/140/160)
Cast Range: 150
Active Max Health as Heal: 35%
Active Max Mana as Mana Restore: 35%
Night Stalker can cast Hunter in the Night. Consumes a creep, instantly killing it and restoring 35% of Night Stalker’s maximum HP and and 35% of maximum mana. Cannot target ancients during the daytime. Cooldown: 20
modifier_night_stalker_hunter_in_the_night: Undispellable. Persists death.
The hunting prowess of Balanar improves as the night beckons.
- Also works during the night from Eclipse.
Night Stalker smothers the sun and summons instant darkness, so that he might use his powers at their fullest. Nightstalker gains flight and bonus damage during this time. Has unobstructed vision.
Cast Animation: 0.3+0
Attack Damage Bonus: 50/100/150 ( 90/140/190)
Duration: 30 ( 40)
modifier_night_stalker_darkness: Dispellable with death only.
It is a humbling sight to see when the mightiest of warriors become afraid of the dark.
- Dark Ascension has a lower priority than the daytime caused by Supernova.
- During it, Night Stalker still flies, has the damage bonus and unobstructed vision, but the vision is limited to his default daytime vision.
- Has a cast backswing of 0.5 seconds when cast during nighttime.
- The damage increasing talent immediately updates the currently running instance.
- Assault Cuirass gives Night Stalker both offensive and defensive power. The extra armor makes him much tankier, synergizing well with his high strength growth, and the attack speed bonus combines with the enemy armor reduction to greatly improve Night Stalker’s and teammates’ physical damage output.
- Lotus Orb gives Night Stalker a blend of self-sustain and survivability through the health and mana regeneration. The active applies dispel which can be very useful against several heroes or just to help sustain your team. It should be noted most the time you will want something like a Spirit Vessel or even a Blade Mail.
- Smoke of Deceit helps Night Stalker get crucial kills by masking his and allies’ presence from enemy wards.
- Gem of True Sight reveals invisible enemies and wards. Combined with Dark Ascension unobstructed vision during nighttime, Night Stalker commands great vision over the map.
- Blade Mail‘s Damage Return can keep Night Stalker alive as enemies may choose not to deal any damage to him, lest losing HP themselves.
- Heaven’s Halberd‘s disarm works well with Crippling Fear’s silence to completely prevent an enemy from fighting back. It also increases survivability with bonuses to strength, evasion, and status resistance.
- Black King Bar makes Night Stalker immune to most disables in team fights so he can focus on using abilities and attacking the enemies without interruption; it also gives him more health and attack damage.
- Nullifier this item can be considered in anticipation of the enemies building BKB, which would allow them to cast spells under Night Stalker’s 2nd ability. It’s also good against enemies who depend on items like Manta Style + Skull Basher like Anti Mage, Spectre, etc. and since the projectile is slow Nullifier would be good to pair with Blink Dagger or Shadow Blade (If the enemy depends on his passive ability better upgrade to Silver Edge).
- Silver Edge gives Night Stalker bonuses to attributes, attack speed, and attack damage. Shadow Walk, combined with Hunter in the Night, allows him to gank while moving at maximum speed, inflicting bonus damage and break to ruin enemy powerful passive abilities.
Ability icon progress
Hero icon progress
Old game clock modifier