Lion, the Demon Witch, is a ranged intelligence hero, most commonly played as a support, who serves as a powerful offensive spellcaster. While exceptionally frail and vulnerable at all stages of the game due to his low health pool, armor, and movement speed, he has a tremendous amount of disabling and nuking power, allowing him to provide the necessary lockdown and burst damage to his team to bring down elusive and shifty enemies. Earth Spike is an area-of-effect line-based stun that also deals a moderate amount of damage. If Lion uses it at max level combined with his Hex, which briefly transfigures an enemy into a harmless critter, he can disable a single opponent for almost 7 seconds, more than enough time to bring down a lone enemy, especially if an ally is present. His ultimate, Finger of Death, serves as a powerful nuke and his primary source of burst damage to aid him in his endeavors. To offset the high mana cost of his abilities, he has Mana Drain, which provides him the sustenance he needs to continuously provide his disabling prowess in a skirmish. A team facing a Lion would do well to eliminate him first in a fight, lest it fall prey to his potent and disruptive spells.
Lion, the Demon Witch[external_link_head]
▶️ “All hell’s broken loose, and I hold the pieces.”
Once a Grandmaster of the Demon Witch tradition of sorcery, Lion earned fame among his brethren for fighting on the side of light and righteousness. But adulation corrupts. With powers surpassed only by his ambition, the mage was seduced by a demon and turned to evil, trading his soul for prestige. After committing horrible crimes that marred his soul, he was abandoned. The demon betrayed him, striking better deals with his enemies. Such was Lion’s rage that he followed the demon back to hell and slew it, ripping it limb from limb, taking its demonic hand for his own. However, such demonoplasty comes at a cost. Lion was transfigured by the process, his body transformed into something unrecognizable. He rose from hell, rage incarnate, slaying even those who had once called him master, and laying waste to the lands where he had once been so adored. He survives now as the sole practitioner of the Demon Witch tradition, and those who present themselves as acolytes or students are soon relieved of their mana and carried off by the faintest gust of wind.
Rock spikes burst from the earth along a straight path. Enemy units are hurled into the air, then are stunned and take damage when they fall.
Cast Animation: 0.3+0
Cast Range: 575 ( 1375)
Spikes Range Buffer: 275
Spikes Radius: 125
Stun Duration: 1.4/1.8/2.2/2.6
12 ( 10)
Attempts to damage if already hit enemies turn spell immune before landing.
Blocked upon impact by everyone within range of the spikes.
modifier_lion_impale: Dispellable with strong dispels.
The Demon Witch exercises his demonic covenant, opening a fissure from hell.
Transforms an enemy unit into a harmless beast, with all special abilities disabled.
Cast Animation: 0+0.53
Cast Range: 500
Set Move Speed: 120
Duration: 2.5/3/3.5/4[external_link offset=1]
Effects persist if debuff was placed before spell immunity.
Blocked as a single-target ability, not blocked when turned into an area-targeted ability.
modifier_lion_voodoo: Dispellable with strong dispels.
Lion is compelled to share his transfiguration, twisting the essence of those who oppose him.
- Applies a hex on the target, setting its base movement speed to 120, silencing, muting and disarming it.
- However, the target’s movement speed can still be affected by movement speed bonuses from items and abilities.
- Since Hex sets the base movement speed of the target unit and does not actually apply a slow, all speed effects are calculated using the 120 base speed.
- Hex instantly destroys illusions.
- Lion’s hex transforms the target into a frog.
- The Fin King’s Charm and Fin King’s Charm of Eminent Revival change the model into a fish.
- With the level 25 talent, Hex turns into an area-targeted ability, so that it cannot directly target units anymore.
- Affects every valid target within the area. Does not affect invulnerable or hidden units but fully affects invisible units.
Absorbs the magical energies of a target enemy unit by taking mana from it every second.
Cast Animation: 0.3+0
Cast Range: 850
Max Targets: 1 ( 3)
Link Break Distance: 1100
Mana Drain per Second: 20/40/60/120
Move Speed Slow: 20%/25%/30%/35%
Max Channel Time: 5
Secondary Target Range Buffer: 300
Causes Mana Drain to affect up to three enemies. You become Spell Immune while channeling.
Effect does not persist and immediately ends if debuff was placed before spell immunity.
Effect persists on secondary targets if debuff was placed before spell immunity.
Can be cast on spell immune allies.
Blocked normally upon cast. Blocked fully only when primary target.
modifier_lion_mana_drain: Dispellable with death only.
modifier_lion_mana_drain_immunity: Dispellable with death only.
Lesser magi are nothing more than a source of magical restoration for the Demon Witch.
- Can only be cast on units which have a mana pool.
- The link breaks when the target gets out of vision, turns invulnerable, or exceeds the break distance.
- The link does not break when the target runs out of mana.
- Drains 2/4/6/12 mana in 0.1-second intervals, starting 0.1 seconds after cast, resulting in up to 50 instances.
- Instantly destroys targeted illusions on the first interval.
- Can drain up to 100/200/300/600 mana when fully channeled.
- The mana gained is based on how much the target actually lost on each interval. If they have no mana left, no mana is gained either.
- However, if Lion is at full mana, the target still continues to lose mana.
- With the level 20 talent, Mana Drain can be cast on allies with reversed effects, draining the caster’s mana into the target.
- Instantly destroys targeted allied illusions on the first interval as well.
- Like on enemies, the mana the ally gains is based on how much Lion actually loses.
- However, if the ally is at full mana, Lion continues to lose mana.
- With Aghanim’s Shard, Mana Drain automatically targets 2 additional enemies within range, using the same targeting rules.
- The search range is based on the cast range, plus the buffer, resulting in a search range of 1150.
- Since the additional links use the ability’s cast range, cast range increasing effects increase their range as well.
- The secondary targets are chosen randomly within the area. There are no priorities.
- When cast on allies, it still can choose random enemies within range. Does not target allies as secondary targets.
- The secondary links do not break and continue to drain mana, even if their targets turn invulnerable, spell immune or run out of mana. They do break when exceeding the link break distance.
- The secondary links stop draining mana if their targets turn invisible or get out of vision, but continue to slow them.
- All links break as soon as the primary target cannot be affected anymore.
- The spell immunity while channeling does not come with any dispel.
Rips at an enemy unit, trying to turn it inside-out. Deals massive damage and grows stronger with each life it consumes.
Cast Animation: 0.3+0.5
Cast Range: 900
Effect Delay: 0.25
Base Damage: 600/725/850 ( 700/825/950)
Damage Bonus per Kill: 40 ( 60)
Kill Grace Duration: 3
Max Health per Kill: 70
Increases damage. Decreases cooldown. Finger of Death hits all units in a small area.[external_link offset=2]
Cannot be cast on spell immune enemies. Attempts to damage, and places the debuff if target turns spell immune during the delay.
Blocked fully only when primary target. Blocked upon cast. Particles still visually appear.
modifier_lion_finger_of_death_kill_counter: Undispellable. Persists death.
modifier_lion_finger_of_death: Dispellable with death only.
modifier_lion_finger_of_death_delay: Dispellable with death only.
modifier_lion_arcana_kill_effect: Undispellable. Persists death.
Lion’s disfigured hand is also the source of his greatest power, capable of flooding victims with malefic force.
- Places a debuff on the target upon cast, which applies the damage and the second debuff upon expiring. The debuff lasts 0.25 seconds.
- This means the damage can be avoided by being invulnerable, hidden or spell immune as the debuff expires.
- If the target dies while having the second debuff, Finger Of Death gains a permanent damage bonus.
- With Aghanim’s Scepter, Finger of Death is cast on all enemy units within 325 radius of the primary target.
- Can hit invisible units and units inside the Fog of War.
- The Finger of Death damage per kill and the max health per kill talents are retroactive, adding damage and health to all already existing stacks, not just the ones made after the talent was taken.
- This attack damage talent is added as bonus attack damage.
- Does not benefit illusions and is not affected by most percentage-based damage increasing or reducing effects.
- Mekansm is useful to build on Lion if no other teammates can utilize the item effectively. The additional stats and armor increase Lion’s survivability, while the heal drastically improves his teamfight contribution. As well, Lion does not suffer from the tremendous mana cost of the item as he can always recoup it with Mana Drain.
- Aether Lens increases Lion’s mana pool for him to more easily get off his spell combos due to the high cost of Finger of Death. The cast range increase can greatly extend the reach of all of Lion’s abilities, especially Hex and Earth Spike for disabling foes. It also increases the cast range of Blink Dagger, one of Lion’s core items.
- Scythe of Vyse is expensive, but is a strong late-game item on any casting-oriented support. In Lion’s case, it gives him better overall stats and reduces his reliance on Mana Drain, while also adding yet another instant hard disable to his already formidable arsenal.
- Dagon drastically increases Lion’s nuking potential, as it allows him to double up on the already formidable nuking power of Finger of Death. However, it is extremely expensive to upgrade and can be relatively useless if bought too late, so it is best purchased if Lion already has a strong gold advantage and needs to end the game early.
- Urn of Shadows‘s charges accumulate quickly given Lion’s strong ganking abilities; those charges either heals allies or deals minor damage to enemies in early fights.
- Medallion of Courage gives Lion more utility, along with a blend of armor and mana regeneration. As a ranged support with strong disables, Lion can use the active on gank targets, increasing the damage they take from teammates’ physical attacks. It can also be used on Roshan to reduce his armor, and later upgraded into a Solar Crest for even more benefits.
- Ghost Scepter is useful on low-HP casters such as Lion. The ability to evade physical damage for a short duration can buy Lion time to survive if the enemy attempts to focus him down, giving him the few seconds he may need to get his spells off. Can be upgraded into Ethereal Blade to improve the damage of his nukes if he gets the gold advantage.
- Eul’s Scepter of Divinity can give Lion some very strong benefits. The item grants more movement speed, giving him more mobility, as well as some more intelligence and mana regen to help him with casting. The active ability can be used either as an additional disable on the enemy, or on Lion himself to give him temporary invulnerability while dispelling debuffs like silences.
- In the transition from DotA to Dota 2, the names of two of Lion’s abilities were changed. Impale changed to Earth Spike and Voodoo changed to Hex.
- Lion’s rival response towards Witch Doctor ▶️ “All we need now is a wardrobe.” is a reference to the second book in The Chronicles of Narnia book series by C.S. Lewis, titled The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
Old face model and icons
The International 4 artwork
Ability icon progress
Hero icon progress