This article is about the Dota 2 event. For other uses of “moon“, see Moon (Disambiguation).
Dark Moon was an event that ran from January 26 to February 6, 2017. Players defended Selemene’s temple from waves of invaders, and earned special event points that could be traded for rewards.[external_link_head]
- 1 Gamemode
- 2 Tips
- 3 Points
- 4 Recycling
- 5 Trophies
- 6 Lore
- 7 Trivia
- 8 External links
- 9 References
- A team of 5 players defend against an onslaught of hordes for 15 rounds. Different enemies spawn each round with the spawns becoming harder every round.
- 5 players defend the Temple at the very north against waves of enemies that spawn from four lanes, which are scattered in all other directions.
- Almost each round has small units which come in masses and a few big units with special abilities.
- Two of the rounds are bonus rounds meant to gain an economic advantage, while additional 2 are boss rounds.
- Experience is gained by killing units (globally shared) and can be gained while dead.
- Gold is gained by picking up gold bags which enemies can drop upon getting killed. Each round has its gold cap. The bags can be picked up by walking over them.
- Enemies may also randomly drop instant health or mana restoring potions, which can be picked up by walking over them as well.
- Between each rounds, players have 30 seconds time to regroup and buy items before the next round starts.
- The game ends prematurely if the Ancient is destroyed, or if all five players die before round 15.
- For the details about the buildings, see here.
- The Temple is located towards the north of the map. It is part of the objective and must be kept alive.
- Eight towers defend the Temple, four external ones and four internal ones.
- Towers that survive until the end of a round earn the team extra gold.
- Three shrines are found on the map, each with a 180 second cooldown.
- All towers and shrines respawn at the end of each round.
- Two shops are located on the map. One in the middle, and one near the top, next to the Temple.
- On death, a tombstone is left where the player died. Living teammates can right click on the tombstone to revive the player. This takes a channel time of six seconds.
- The more players that channel on the same tombstone, the quicker it will go.
- Buyback can be used, but it has a cooldown.
- All players are revived with full health and mana at the end of each round.
- Only a few heroes can be picked for this event.
- Some heroes have altered abilities made specifically for this event.
- Click on a hero’s icon to view its stats, modified/unique abilities and mechanics for this event.
Dark Moon/Legion Commander
Dark Moon/Treant Protector
Dark Moon/Tusk[external_link offset=1]
Dark Moon/Ember Spirit
Dark Moon/Phantom Assassin
Dark Moon/Shadow Fiend
Dark Moon/Dark Seer
Dark Moon/Nature’s Prophet
Dark Moon/Storm Spirit[external_link offset=2]
Dark Moon/Winter Wyvern
Dark Moon/Witch Doctor
- There is a 30 second intermission in between every round.
- For the details of the units and their abilities, see here.
A Way With Worgs
Don’t Count Your Chickens
Nyx Nyx Nyx
It’s Morphlin’ Time
From My Black Grimoire
We’re Falling Apart Without You
A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats
Numerous Launches Detected
On The Hunt
Attack Of The Cat Ladies
Albert Was A Chemist
It’s A Techies Convention
Who Threatens Our Concentration?
Dark Moon uses the default Dota 2 items, with a few tweaks. A couple of items are completely disabled, while a very few received modifications. Three new items are added as drop-only items.
The following items cannot be bought in Dark Moon.
These items have been modified.
There are 4 different items that can be dropped by enemies, from which 3 are new. Dropped items last for 15 seconds on the ground before they despawn.
The most common drop are gold bags. Picking up a gold bag grants the entire team based on which round it is. A gold bag is automatically picked up when getting within 100 range of it. However, while spell immune, they have to be picked up manually by right-clicking on them.
Enemies also occasinoally drop health potions and mana potions. They have a
[ Info Needed ]% drop chance. Health potion instantly restore a portion of the hero’s maximum health and mana potion instantly restore a portion of the hero’s maximum mana upon getting picked up. Just like gold bags, health and mana potions are automatically picked up when getting within 100 range of them. However, while spell immune, they have to be picked up manually by right-clicking on them.
Enemies may also drop Town Portal Scrolls, with a
[ Info Needed ]% drop chance. Unlike the other 3 drops, the scrolls can only be picked up by directly right-clicking them. They also land in the inventory, instead of being instantly activated.
Click on the hero names to view their Dark Moon ability and hero stats details.
- Assassinate is useful in taking out big enemies from a distance. It also have the ability to scatter its damage to the enemies behind targeted enemy.
- Dark Seer
- Phantom Assassin
- Winter Wyvern
- None of Gyro’s abilities have been modified for this mode making him a very weak pick.
- Ember Spirit
- Walrus WALLOP! can be useful in Round 6 against Demon Charmers and Enthralled Golems, as it spreads the golems around, potentially putting them out of the Demon Charmer’s health aura range.
- Treant Protector
- Legion Commander
- Information needed.
- Shadow Fiend
- Storm Spirit
- Storm Spirit has a lot of magical damage burst with Static Remnant which allows him to clear early waves quite fast. The biggest advantage Static Remnant has is that it can be cast on the run, Storm Spirit neither needs to turn, nor to stop to cast it
- Overload grants Storm Spirit a second area damage spell, which also heavily slows enemies for a short while. On top of that, Overload’s effects are applied to Static Remnant, hitting all enemies hit by the Remnant’s damage, meaning the remnant effectively deals more damage and slows enemies.
- Electric Vortex is a very strong AoE disable which ignores enemy disable immunity. This means it can stop and pull Roosters and Chickens.
- Since Electric Vortex pulls enemies towards the center, it can serve as a poor man’s Black Hole, creating combos with allied spells. Especially on the 10th round, it can pull and disable multiple chickens.
- Ball Lightning is the best mobility spell available in Dark Moon. It allows Storm Spirit to quickly travel the map, while also dealing area damage around him. With the right items, he can roll over enemies and instantly kill smaller mobs while also damaging the bigger ones. Due to its lack of cooldown, he can avoid damage quite easily even when standing between enemy masses.
- Storm Spirit’s items should include high intelligence items, like Scythe of Vyse, Bloodthorn and Octarine Core. Scythe grants an additional disable which is always useful, while Octarine Core allows Storm Spirit to cast Electric Vortex more often, on top of healing him from the damage his spells deal.
- Bloodthorn is great on Storm Spirit for the same reason why it is great on him in default Dota. On top of this, Bloodthorn is extremely powerful in Dark Moon, making it the best item pick-up for Storm Spirit.
- Nature’s Prophet
- Witch Doctor
- Paralyzing Cask has a low cooldown, so it can be spammed quite a bit. It aloso has a long stun duration against the smaller enemies, making it a decent gap creator for Witch Doctor, allowing him to resurrect allies more safely.
- Voodoo Restoration is a potent heal, which can be kept active permanently with the right items.
- Maledict can potentially deal insane amounts of damage, especially against bigger targets. Since its damage scales exponentially and is based on how much damage the target took, it can quickly kill big enemies like Whale-eaters.
- Against the Dark Magus, Maledict has to be timed right. The best time to use it is immediately as the fight begins, and always directly after his tornado/sunstrike meteor spams end. If timed wrongly, Maledict may lose ticks due to the invulnerability the Dark Magus gets while spamming tornadoes/sun strikes and meteors.
- Death Ward has very high dps and is able to attack multiple targets. Positioning is very important to cast this, since it is a channeled ability. Combined with Maledict, Witch Doctor can quickly kill big single targets even on his own.
- Since Witch Doctor soley relies on his spells, he needs mana regeneration. Octarine Core is very strong on him, as it allows him to keep Voodoo Restoration active during whole rounds, and allows him to cast his other spells more often. Maledict and Death Ward have an above average cooldown time, so that Octarine Core has a greater effect.
- In order to be able to safely channel Death Ward, a Glimmer Cape may be required.
- Points are acquired by playing.
- Daily bonuses are given for the first game played each day. Every daily bonus gives players 35,000 points plus 6 times the points they earned in the game.
- Daily bonuses are only given if players pass beyond Round 5.
- A special Dark Moon Emoticon is awarded to players who beat all rounds of the event.
- 35,000 points can be spent to spin the reward wheel once.
- A random cosmetic item is rewarded from the wheel.
- For a full list of possible rewards, see the Dark Moon drop list.
- The Dark Moon Baby Roshan is unique to this event, and can be obtained from the wheel at a very low chance.
- Treasures can be recycled in the Armory for 20,000 Dark Moon points.
- Items received from opened chests cannot be recycled.
With Selemene’s influence at its weakest, and twisted shades of the familiar creeping across her domain, the Moon Goddess beckons five new protectors to stand in the stead of her champions against the corruption of the Dark Moon Horde. Will you be one to answer the hallowed call?
The Dark Moon is a cataclysmic event of unknown consequences. This apocalyptic events appears to inspire two factions. The first is the Dark Moon Order, a group of warriors sworn to the service and protection of Selemene, of which Luna is a member. The second is the Dark Moon Horde, who seek to attack Selemene and bring about the Dark Moon. In the conflict between these two factions, outside champions are sometimes recruited to defend against the Dark Moon Horde. The latest battle took place at the steps of the Temple of Mene, after the order’s defenders were lulled to sleep by some unknown arcane power.
- This event is categorized as New Bloom 2017 in the game files.
- The title for Round 4 is a play on “It’s Morphin’ Time”, a phrase uttered by the main characters on the Might Morphin Power Rangers franchise.
- The title for Round 9, “Numerous Launches Detected”, is possibly a play on “Nuclear Launch Detected”, a phrase spoken whenever a Ghost unit launches a nuclear strike in Blizzard Entertainment’s Starcraft series.
- The title for Round 14, “It’s a Techies Convention” is a play on the Star Trek fandom, where the fans are commonly known as ‘Trekkies’, who are known to hold conventions dedicated to the series.
- Axe, Legion Commander, Juggernaut, Shadow Fiend, Venomancer, Storm Spirit and Witch Doctor, who were added to the Dark Moon hero pool on the January 31, 2017 Patch, appeared in the same form in Frostivus 2013/Heroes with the same modified spells. All other heroes in this event were not present in Frostivus 2013.
- Blog announcement